Thursday, April 7, 2011

Back to Nature

I've been thinking a lot about "nature" lately. Maybe it's because we go for so many more walks than I ever used to. Yesterday we went for a walk after breakfast and sat and looked at this for a long time:


It was the tiniest, sweetest little snail shell. Dresden was captivated. We talked about who, or what, used to live there, and wondered (well, I did) what his new home might look like.


The wind was blowing, the sun was warming, it was quiet save for the chatty mockingbirds, and I sat on the sidewalk, in wonder of everything. I've never been an outdoorsy person, and I don't think I really will ever be truly "outdoorsy", but I feel like I have 28 (almost 29!) years to make up for not appreciating nature; 28 years that I WANT to make up for. I have this great desire, that seems to have been newly born of Spring, to teach Dresden to love our Earth. I've gone through life mostly taking it for granted; but not anymore. I want to make things like Earth Day and Arbor Day actually important, marked by some tradition. This year, we are going to the festival in Westlake (or at least that's my plan!)...I can't wait to find new ways to celebrate in the years to come as he gets older and becomes more aware. Until then, we will just keep going for walks as often as we can, just like we did after dinner once Alex was home. 

Worms will not have died in vain, so long as they become a lesson...


The millionth ant will be as wondrous as the first...


Twenty minutes on the sidewalk will never be too long...


Seeing a beetle while wearing a Beatles shirt will ALWAYS be an awesome coincidence!


And every sunset will be worth stopping for...


"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."  ~John Muir





No comments:

Post a Comment