Dresden is, first of all, very smart. I say it's "too smart for his own good", because he has an argument/excuse/justification/logical explanation for EVERYTHING. If he touches
He is working on potty training, though it's more of an "at his own pace" process right now. If he asks to go or says he has to go on the potty, we take him. I haven't done any of the hard-core "sit in the bathroom for three days"training, but that may come sooner than later, because I think it's time, and also because we are most likely starting Dresden in pre-school very soon. I toured a Montessori pre-school that I fell in love with, and think it really echoes the philosophies and ways Alex and I think about education and children. I am so excited to see how Dresden thrives within that kind of structure and guidance. I may be tattling on myself, but things are more of a free-for-all around here (as in, I don't sit with him and do homeschooling lessons, and we don't have a set schedule every day). I am ready for him to have that, and I think it's going to be awesome.
I have to give credit for this awesome photo below to the amazing Emily Q. of Q&U Photography; she took it at her daughter's birthday party and it is one of my favorite pictures of Dresden.
(Shhh, don't tell Alex!)
Dresden actually spends very little time being "Dresden". Pretty much from the moment he wakes up in the morning, he asks to be something or someone else. Of late, he cycles between "Gabe" the monster from his favorite book, Darth Vader, General Grievous (the Grievous days were the. worst.), a snapping shrimp, a whale shark, a baby crocodile, a T-Rex...the list goes on and on. It's gotten to the point where I try to encourage him to be Dresden sometimes, just because, I actually do kind of miss the little guy. I tell him I didn't give birth to Darth Vader, so I really can't get Darth Vader his juice or anything like that. LOL! At the same time, I love that he has such a great imagination, and I hope that it will serve him well in life, and so I want to find the balance between encouraging Dresden and supporting all his alter egos. (Which is exhausting, but I will keep trying!) I think pre-school will help with that too. The director of the school said that when he is on the playground, he can be anyone or anything he wants to be, but that they teach there is a time and place for everything. He doesn't listen to me when I tell him that, per se, but maybe if it's coming from someone else it will be better-received. Ha!
He is the same clever, mischievous, impish, spritely boy he has been all along. Yesterday he even told me as much, "Mama, I am a very clever boy..." with that twinkle in his eye. He is a full-on three-year-old in terms of attitude and temper-tantrum throwing. Ooh, we've seen some doozies. Yet sometimes it is as if a switch is flipped, and he is the sweetest, most agreeable little thing. I am in for a rough season of this I am afraid, as he is an almost-3-year-old AND a Gemini, so he has the switch-flipping thing embedded within him (for those of you who believe anything about the zodiac/astrology...which I kind of do...so there you go...lol.)
He asks for a brother or sister on an almost-daily basis, and asks why there isn't one here yet and then tells me to make one. I tell him hopefully soon (but not too soon, don't FREAK out, Mom or Dad!) Still, we would like him to have a sibling at least before he is 5, which is why we are working extra hard to make sure we get all our stuff in order. The last few times he has said he wants a brother, specifically, but he went on a long "sister" jag for a while too. We shall see! I have 30 pounds til my goal weight, and I definitely want to be at my very healthiest the next time around, as my pregnancy with Dresden was less-than-ideal because of my weight. I'm excited to someday wear actually cute maternity clothes! Shallow, but true!
I can't believe that in basically a month, we will be celebrating his 3rd birthday. So crazy to me that this kid has been with us for this long, and yet, when I look at his face, I still see that little, tiny newborn reflected there. It actually really hit me when I was driving home from the preschool, that soon he would be a little boy in a red polo shirt and blue shorts, and it made me want to keep him at home a little while longer just out of a mother's clinginess to her baby. (Then I got home and he started driving me crazy again, and I realized I will be okay letting him go and learn a few times a week! Hey, just being honest here!) Crazy-making aside, he makes me laugh hysterically every day and gives me the most violent hugs and kisses, which I make sure and convince myself come from a place of his crazy love for me (kid is like The Hulk when it comes to
Love,
Cassie




No comments:
Post a Comment