Saturday, January 8, 2011

5:30 a.m.

I thought about titling this post "Oh lord y'all", because every time I think about this week, a southern woman stands up inside my head and says "Oh lord, y'all" in a thick southern drawl. For example, how is this the face of a person who woke up at 5:30 a.m. every day this week:


Oh lord y'all. I couldn't be this bright-eyed if you paid me. Well, maybe if you paid me really well. Nope, not even then I don't think.

(and if I'm the only one who's ever heard a life-long southern woman exclaim "Oh lord y'all" or something very close to it, then I apologize, and you can chalk that portion of the post up as irrelevant!)

I've said it more than once this week, to more than one person, having to wake up at 5:30 a.m. and entertain a toddler until their naptime at 10:30 seriously made me question what I was doing staying at home. I didn't even wake up at 5:30 a.m. when I was workin' for "the man". Granted, "the man" would have liked me to get up at 5:30 a.m. so I could have made it in earlier than my 9:00 stroll-in time. But it just. did not. happen. 7 o'clock is just kind of my wake-up time, and Dresden spoiled me for the past year and half by that being his wake-up time, too. He's the kind of boss, however, who doesn't send out memos a week in advance or host all-team meetings on changing company policies. And, I have a harder time than some adapting to unforeseen changes. Especially where my precious sleep is concerned!

But by this morning, I realized there was no point in fighting it anymore, and I got up and put on as awake of a mask as I could muster, and somehow made it through, and instead of napping, even went and exercised, and I have to admit I feel better for it. Is the earlier schedule my favorite? No. Do I secretly hope he will all of a sudden revert back to 7? You bet (and I wouldn't even care about not receiving that memo!). But I seriously began thinking as I was driving home last night from a small date night out with Alex, about how McMama has mentioned in a few posts "I'm gonna miss this," in regards to her five children who are constantly demanding her time, energy and attention. I even envisioned making Dresden a shirt to wear over his clothes every day with "You're gonna miss this" emblazoned on both the front and the back just to remind me that indeed, I will. First, though, I will attempt to always see or think those words before I get frustrated or want to quit or feel so overwhelmed I could cry, or so overwhelmed I'm even too overwhelmed TO cry. Because while I'm groaning and sulking and pouting and complaining, there's no doubt, I'm missing this...


Where's Waldo Dresden?


A perfect example of time flying by and not wanting to miss a second, the little red M&M stuffed toy below was a gift that Uncle Nick and Aunt Laura brought Dresden IN THE HOSPITAL when he was JUST BORN. Nick got them to give the M&M its own "Visitor" sticker. That was already over a year and a half ago. I cannot even believe it.



A special thanks to Grammy (my mom) for taking these cute pictures and playing with Dresden while Alex and I were out. Grammy and Dresden are kindred spirits in that they could both get up at 5 every day no problem. If only Grammy were retired, then the problem would be solved! ;-D But I digress.

There is also a chance that Dresden has been waking up early this week because he is getting over a cold and he coughs and that wakes him up, and then he hears the shower running from Alex getting ready for work, because our rooms are connected by the bathroom, and he thinks "Hey, they're up!" Or maybe it is because he's 19-months-old and his sleep habits are changing. Who knows. All I know is as much as possible I should be grateful that I am able to get up with my boy, that I am so incredibly blessed for every morning. I'm going to be working on this change of focus, struggling and working and praying for grace every day, and I know I will falter, probably a lot and that's ok, as long as I'm trying.

That said, I do get a bit of a break tomorrow morning, because Alex is going to take Dresden for some father/son bonding time. He works such long hours he really hardly gets to see Dresden before it's time to put him to bed, so this will be good for them. Past that, just normal weekend resting and hanging out. They are saying it might even snow! 

Stay warm, be happy!
Love,

Cassie, Alex and Dresden



No comments:

Post a Comment