Friday, August 5, 2011

Blame it on the heat?!

Edited: This post will seem out of sequence, although it was actually written before I wrote either of the hiking posts. I had written other things in this post after deciding I wanted to separate the hikes out into their own posts, and I had put pictures in, but something weird happened and blogger ate that more up-to-date version of the post. So, this one I will include, sans pictures just because it is a sort of "catching up" post and I want to retain it, but I will also post another one with the pictures we took when trying to capture images for the new header, the ones I was going to post in this one. Okay, well, that's enough convoluted blogging for tonight, don't you agree!? Sorry!!! I have no idea what happened!

I don't know why, I've just been in a funk lately and haven't been able to summon up the motivation to blog. That, and we haven't been taking many pictures lately, which I think is largely owing to the fact that we are cooped up inside a lot more these days. The couple of times we have attempted to venture out into the heat have kind of been disasters (read: the two other hikes we tried to go on over the past two weekends.) The other part of it is that Dresden caught a cold two weeks ago, so we didn't do much over that week when he was sick. He caught a cold the same day they announced Amy Winehouse had died. We were on our way to attempt a hike at Elm Fork Trail which boasted a cool "haunted" bridge (the only thing scary about that bridge was my sad attempt at a Blair Witch-style video recording), and I was browsing my phone and saw the news. I'm not writing this as a gigantic Amy Winehouse fan (though she did have some amazing pipes, and I think it is horribly sad that she wasn't able to/didn't want to get help in time), more just because I think I rarely blog about anything outside our little family, and yet, the world turns around us and events coincide and occur, so I will always associate our hike at Elm Fork Trail with finding out Amy Winehouse died, and Dresden starting to come down with a cold, and, as a result, asking to be carried most of the (short) way.

During the week, we have mostly just played in his room or run around in circles for 20-minute bursts on the living room rug, which has been renamed a "track". You wouldn't necessarily think it, but running around in a circular, confined space for 20 minutes can really tire a person! (And that person is not Dresden!) We are also really newly into the shows on PBS - a WELCOME change to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Franklin (I don't understand how kids have the patience to watch Franklin; it is SO boring, and that little Beaver-girl drives me NUTS!) We now enjoy The Cat In The Hat (anything with Martin Short as a voice is going to be good, come on!), and Super Why! I honestly do love that it talks about books and reading and gets him paying attention to letters more (maybe if he sees on television that reading is important he will want to do it more often!) I know, I know, backward logic, but reading books is still not his favorite. Once he finally agrees to do it, he's very interested and engaged, and has even started taking the books and saying "No, I will wead it alll myself!" and he starts all his stories with "Once 'pon 'time..."; it's just the suggestion of "Hey, wanna read?!" that is usually met with a resounding "Nope!" I just have to hope that this is only a phase and that eventually he will appreciate, if not love, books like I do.


On August 2nd, he turned 26 months old!!! And I also realized the other day it will be December in FOUR months. Which really means, with the way time has been flying, that it will basically feel like it's only been two months. Seriously, this summer has felt like it was only a few weeks long, but I can't figure out why, because we haven't been all that busy apart from our travels at the beginning of June. It's hard to know what to write in a 26-month-old update, because it's to the point where minute by minute things are different/changing. I will say I think we are fully entrenched in the "Terrible Two's", and the new methods of defiance (blatantly ignoring me as if he is catatonic while I'm an inch away from his face asking him if he wants more juice for the thousandth time, being one of them) are VERY, VERY trying. But then the next second he turns around and says "Go 'head Mama, go 'head" when he wants me to do something, or looks up at me with his huge sea-pool eyes and says "You wan' wun (run) mama?" (around the living room ad nauseum in circles), which CRACKS me up and makes me melt. I will forever speak of the tension of motherhood. There is just no other way to describe it, a constant balance between one feeling and another. Other than the moments of "terrible two's" though, he is a marvel to us. He is AMAZING with puzzles, especially on Alex's Nook. The way he has already mastered that much technology, and to watch his mind at work is an awesome sight to behold. It's so interesting to see someone learn something for the first time; a reminder of things we take for granted. And also a humble reminder of the things we may not know how to do now, as well as he already can at 2! Lol.


So, that's a (long) look at what we've been up to for the past few weeks to get inquiring minds caught up! Hopefully this weekend will bring new adventures to share about!


Love,


Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment