Saturday, June 9, 2012

Birthday, the 3rd...

Dresden Grey had another great birthday this year, per expectations, of course! He doesn't seem so different, but maybe that is because for me, he's been "turning 3" for like, the last 4 months. Every day he still says the most logical, intuitive things that you would not think a 3-year-old could reason out; like, when running around in just his diaper, he said, "I'm a naked baby! Put a shirt on me and I'll only be a half naked baby!" True, Dresden. So true!

To start off the birthday festivities, Alex and I took him to Rainforest Cafe the night before his actual birthday for dinner. Every time we go to Grapevine Mills Mall, he instantly asks to be taken to the crocodile, and the times we've eaten there with him before, he's loved it. Well, not THIS time. We completely traumatized him the night before his birthday. With his intellect and reason expanding, I suppose that has also brought along with it a greater awareness of anxiety-producing situations and the ability to fear things. Well, he feared those crazy, loud gorillas with a passionate terror, the likes of which I haven't seen since I myself was a child at Disney World screaming in fear as the over-grown Mickey and Minnie Mouses ambled toward me. He kept screaming, "Can you pweeeeease get me out of hewe qwickwy!!!!!", over and over. It was the most heartbreaking thing. So we did what all good parents would do, and just asked to be moved to a less-noisy area of the restaurant (that doesn't actually exist, fyi.) Still JUST as loud, but not as easily visible, so he was less and less freaked out each time they went postal. I was pretty much startled every time, but I kept my composure as best I could. :-P

Daddy and his boy...

Classic shot. Dresden pointed right when Alex clicked; I think it looks like he's censoring my face or something, lol.


Watching the croc!


Happy boy


It ended up being fun, and Dresden loved his dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets, but we really did vow that that would be the last time we'd ever go there. The food is just NOT that great for the price, and the fear-factor seems to be a little much for us at this stage in the game. You live and you learn, right?

The REAL party began the next morning, when Dresden had four of his little friends over for his Dinosaur bash! It ended up being a fun little party, and I think Dresden had a very happy day. My mom worked incredibly hard on all of it, and I am so thankful for her diligence. I'm just the idea girl, but she is the master executor.

I, the master chef, prepared the dinosaur-shaped turkey and PB&J sandwiches. 
It was quite a challenge. ;-)


The birthday boy's first picture as a 3-year-old.


Volcano cake, courtesy of mom! It turned out soooo cool looking.


Food table! 
We had dinosaur claws (Bugles), T-Rex ribs, Cheddar Bacon Dip, Baked beans and potato salad


And the awesome T-Rex watermelon fruit display, thanks Mom!!! So cute.


Dresden and his friend Maddie before the dino bone excavation...


Junior Paleontologists at work! We buried dinosaur skeletons in the sand and they got to dig them out. I didn't anticipate so much sand being flung, I guess because Dresden has never played in a sandbox before and I haven't seen kids playing in sand in, well, ages, so I didn't even think about the sand going everywhere. But it all ended up being okay.


Maddie, Kace, Lily and Dresden


Our awesome volcano!


Party guests...


Kace flinging the sand with gleeful fervor!


Dresden wanted to make sure I didn't feel left out of the sand-flinging...awesome.


The adult party goers!


After we ate and played for a long time in the already HOT Texas sun, we came in for present opening...Dresden is spoiled beyond belief by all his friends and family who love him. Thank you all.


And of course, then it was cake time...



After that, it was time for one more trip outside to break the dinosaur pinata. My dad had to end up breaking it because it was a pretty tough T-Rex! It was hysterical to watch the kids swinging at it though.


We were all exhausted, and full of delicious chocolate volcano cake by the end of the day. Dresden crashed at 7 o' clock after deciding that newly-turned 3-year-olds don't need naps on their birthdays. Alex and I had an awesome time celebrating our little boys birthday with everyone. Thank you to everyone who made it such a special and amazing day for him, both near and far. I still can't believe I have a 3-year-old!

Love,

Cassie










1 comment:

  1. y'all are the most fun family! first i read about archery, then going to waco on a whim to a zoo (that my best friend from tyler actually just went to the day before! so crazy. well, for me anyway. sorry) and then the dr pepper factory and then a dinosaur bday?! seriously y'all are so cute and so much fun!! i love it all.

    ReplyDelete