Saturday, June 2, 2012

Happy 3rd Birthday, Dresden!!!

Oh, Dresden. Happy Birthday, my Sweet One.


I am just at a loss for where to even begin on this "birthday" post. Have you ever felt that way, so overwhelmed by something you don't know where to start? I will say this, it has finally hit me how fast this whole thing goes. I was looking at his face when we were taking pictures of him yesterday and I realized that I thought last year he had lost his baby cheeks, but now that I look back on last years pictures, I see how those baby cheeks were still there compared to this year...and I know next year will be the same, and the year after that...

This kid can make me laugh through tears...can make me cry and scream and yell, and then turn around and melt me with a glance or a phrase. Most days I am pretty much convinced he is smarter than I am, which exhausts and terrifies and delights me. I looked back at his "2nd Birthday" post and realized that he has actually gained weight this year - I was convinced he hadn't, but it should show a gain of 3 whole pounds, bringing our grand total to 28 lbs for the win! LOL. Some days when I look at him laying in his bed asleep, I swear he's as tall as a 5-year-old, and my breath catches in my chest; "slow down," I whisper. He moves me to weep by telling me I am beautiful and that he "wikes the way I wook"... he makes my day when he says, "Mama, I wike doing Spanish words wif you." He makes me have to choke back hysterical laughter when he threatens me with time outs for not doing what he wants me to do. He breaks my heart when he screams in defiance, and builds it back again with every apology he makes with his sincere little 2-almost-3-year old soul.

Who would know all of these experiences could live in tension and harmony inside one little body, so young and yet already so complex. I am amazed and privileged every day to watch my little miracle unfold before my eyes, and have to keep myself from blinking because I know before I realize, these days will be gone. And they are so, so interesting and wonderful. I am so happy to have had three years of them so far, and so excited to keep watching them unfold every day.

Dresden Grey - from the moment I saw your face, you have filled my life with wonder and joy. As the years go by, as I get to know you as the little person you are becoming, and as I have become the person I was truly meant to be, that joy and wonder is increased seven-fold, and things only get brighter every day. I love everything about you, and feel a profound sense of honor that I am the one who was chosen to be your mama. Thank you for teaching me, helping me, inspiring me, and being patient with me as I learn from you every day how to do this to the best of my ability. You are my sunshine; I love you.

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that today- i feel like i love my kids so much it almost makes my heart break. like its going to explode because its so full and it goes so fast. what a gorgeous boy! you are such a wonderful mom cassie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kristen; that is a huge compliment bc I think you are the BEST mom to your kiddos! It does go by so, so fast. And I know exactly what you mean about the heart exploding feeling. It's such an amazing, exciting, scary, wonderful blessing!!!

      Delete