Sunday, December 11, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 - Part II

Our first day in Chicago, we headed downtown into the city. Alex knew I really wanted to go to the Art Institute museum, so he took Dresden to the Shedd Aquarium and dropped me off there. Art museums are where I am absolutely in my element. The sense of peace and completion I feel whenever I visit one is just awe-inspiring for me. I don't know why they do that. Maybe it's the cold marble, the quiet, the reverence to the centuries of talent on the walls and the floors, but they get to me. Every time. The Art Institute was no exception, and it smelled of lilies, throughout. It was beautiful, and had so many rooms full of art, I could have wandered for days. Just when I thought I'd seen every piece, another doorway led to yet another room, over and over. I spent the majority of my time with my beloved Impressionists, who eventually led me back in time to the more religious paintings and works of art from the 13th and 14th centuries and the Renaissance. The only pictures I took were with my phone, so they do not do any of it justice, but it REALLY helped me get over my embarrassment of taking pictures of myself in public (it's usually a hidden behavior (i.e. Facebook profile photos, lol!)), and I still had proof of being there, so it all works out in the end. :-)

Two Sisters on A Terrace by Renoir, my very favorite painting


Paris on a Rainy Day by Gustave Caillebotte, I loved this one because it was humongous, and it just felt like you were walking with these people on the street, they were that big. 
I bought a print of this I loved it so much.


Right after this shot of the Degas ballerina was the one and only time I got "in trouble" that day. The sweet security lady was so nice about how I wasn't supposed to have taken a picture. After I'd already taken it, so it was just kind of funny since she couldn't really do anything about the fact that I'd taken it.   I guess she didn't feel like it was within her jurisdiction to take my phone away from me ;-)


I forgot to see who painted this one, but I love the contrast of her black choker with the white dress...


The famous Ferris Bueller Seurat!


Toulousse et moi. J'adore Toulousse Latrec.



Me and Miss Mary Magdalene


While I was enjoying my solitude, Dresden and Alex were having fun at the Shedd Aquarium. Dresden LOVED it! I met them in time to see the Dolphin Show at the end, where Dresden got to see Santa coming in on a flying canoe down into the water. He thought that was pretty cool.


Little man sitting with the fish



Sweet face


Dresden got himself a 4-year-old girlfriend named Kristina from the Czech Republic. She spoke to him only in Czech, he to her only in English. It was a short-lived relationship...


A sea dragon. So cool.


One of the beluga whales at the dolphin show


A cool jelly 
(did you know they don't really call them jellyfish anymore, they just refer to them as Jellies?! Pluto isn't a planet, jellyfish are Jellies, what will be next?!)


Outside the aquarium...


Beautiful night-skyline


I call this my "Felicity Picture"...for those of you who haven't seen the show (shame on YOU, first of all! lol), the opening credits were a montage of black and white artsy pictures of the characters around the city of New York. This made me so happy because it reminded me of that! :-D Thank you, Alex!


Poor DD was just TUCKERED out. He fell asleep the minute Alex picked up to start walking to the car.


After we left the Aquarium, we went to Lou Malnati's for my first taste of Chicago deep-dish pizza. It was DE-LIC-IOUS!!!!


Delicious Caesar Salad. Alex had never had a Caesar Salad before!!!


Well, if the salad was any indication of how the pizza would taste, we were in for a treat!


Yummy minestrone soup!


The pizza - the Malnati's Classico, with sausage, cheese and the pizza sauce on top. Genius!



Annnnddd....success!


Dresden loved it too!


It was a fun, full day. I decided I LOVE Chicago after this day, just the energy on the street, in the city, was so different from anywhere I've ever been. The bustle, the crisp air, the amazing architecture were perfect. (Nobody write and tell me how the winters and summers are horrible - I've already heard, just let me live in my little I Love Chicago bubble for awhile!)

Up next, the day we spent at the Museum of Science and Industry, and a delicious dinner in Greektown!

Love,

Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment