I love Greek food. It's probably my absolute favorite, and I just don't eat it often enough. So when Alex asked me what my "must-eats" for this trip were, Greek food in Greektown was a definite must. We chose The Greek Islands from a list of eateries in the area, and we made an EXCELLENT choice. It was a four-course meal, which meant we got a little bit of everything we wanted to try.
It started out with bread and a crushed garlic and potato spread, and then Saganaki, which is fried goat cheese. The waiter lit it on fire by the table to fry it, and Dresden goes, "Can you do that again?" in a voice of wonder and awe. It was so cute.
The goat cheese-lover in me was in heaven!
Oh, and wine of course. It was called Momovassios, very spicy and full. Perfect with the dinner.
Little man and Daddy
The decor...
Our dinner plate, which consisted of dolmades (probably my absolute favorite thing, stuffed grape-leaves), spanakotaropita, lamb meat, moussakah, rice, and a potato. The flavors were impeccable, and rich. I didn't want to stop eating, but I could not finish the whole plate, there was no way! Dresden even liked the moussakah, which is like a Greek lasagna basically. I was proud of him!
After dinner it was time for Greek coffee - look how tiny and adorable!
And dessert - baklava and galaktoboureko
It was hot...and soooo delicious. I love how thick and grainy it was.
In the front of the restaurant...It was like being back at the Shedd Aquarium! HA!
Checking out the fresh fish with Mama
Chicago traffic heading home...the driving and traffic were the two things I would struggle with I think...
Our second day downtown was just as fun as our first! After these two days, my brothers- and sisters-in-law started coming in for Thanksgiving, so the next few days were spent at home cooking and playing rock band and laughing, a lot. More to come on all of that in the next couple of days!
Love,
Cassie

















No comments:
Post a Comment