Friday, October 26, 2012

It's a Girl!!!

Although we made it "Facebook official", I realized I had yet to make it "blog official", that we are indeed having a little girl. We found out almost two weeks ago, and are ecstatic. I suppose I should actually clarify, we had it confirmed that the baby is a girl, because at my 12-week ultrasound, the tech took an "educated guess" and told us he thought it was a girl. I was excited then, but didn't want to get my hopes up too high because it was so early, but Alex just took it and ran with it, after already being convinced it was a girl from pretty much the beginning. To be honest, that was the vibe I had, too, but I just wanted to wait and see. Actually, everyone I talked to would tell me, "It's a girl, I just know it!" So I guess all the odds were in our corner on this one!

Like I said, we are ecstatic, and at the same time I think I am also in a bit of shock (even though I had a girl vibe myself), because I kind of had begun to picture myself in the role of "Boy Mom", and thought since Alex had so many brothers that boys were what ran in the family. And honestly, I was perfectly happy with that thought. I imagined having another sweet little boy and dressing him in all of Dresden's adorable outfits (financially, we were set in that department!), and thought about how he and Dresden would be best friends, and super-close and how cool it would be to see that relationship. So when I realized I would become the mom of one of each I wasn't sure what that would look like! I have nearly four years of raising a boy under my belt, and so having a girl is completely foreign territory to me! I'm not one of those people who was like "I have no idea what to do with a boy, because I'm a girl and it's all I know so I have to have girls!" I find I feel the opposite, and ask myself things like, "Can she wear robots too? Why is there soooooo much pink?! Will she be a drama queen like I was?! EEK!" At the same time, I get excited with the anticipation of her growing up and reading Anne of Green Gables with me, and watching Pride and Prejudice, and baking at Christmas and having coffee together in the breakfast nook, and all the manner of other things in between. I was feeling sorry for Dresden imaging him being subjected to chick-flick marathons with me (which I would have made him do anyway, hehe!) and now he will be somewhat off the hook! I say somewhat because I hope he will want to do some of those things with us anyway (wishful thinking maybe, but I don't care). 

Now, my focus has shifted to the brother and sister relationship I will get to see unfold, and how I think he will be so sweet and protective of her. He will be old enough that he will kind of be off on the next stage of school and life before her, but I think he will do a good job of paving the way and making sure she is ok and taken care of no matter where he is in relation to her. Right now, Dresden LOVES babies (like, LOVES them), and I think his sister will be the object of sooooo much attention and love on his part, especially when she is a little tiny thing right at first. Of course, I have also begun to imagine brother/sister Halloween costumes, and coordinating outfits while they are young; all the frivolous fun things that moms think about. I love that they will have each other to lean on as adults, too, and hope Alex and I can instill in them a closeness that endures forever. Even if they fight and hate each other during high school, having them be close when they are in their 20's, 30's and older, I will consider a complete success.

We have names narrowed down, but are not announcing anything just yet. We made that mistake with Dresden and got a few very unwelcome opinions about our choice, which we were in love with, and just don't want to go through that again. Her name will be fitting for our family, which is to say, you won't see it on any list of "Top Ten Baby Names", and hopefully you will not see it on any kindergarten rosters in five years either. Choosing something unique, yet that still sounds like a perfectly acceptable name is important to us. Look for the big reveal of that within the next few months most likely.

My next task is to try and find affordable girl clothes that don't have phrases like "Daddy's Little Princess" and "Mommy's Sweetheart" on them, with hot pink polka dots and tulle and ruffles all over them. So far, that has proven difficult. I wonder if my taste has been tempered by having a boy, or if it's just my natural tendency, but I really appreciate little girl clothing that has a sweet, understated simplicity and looks more old-fashioned and sophisticated than a lot of what I have seen around me lately. I like rompers and one-pieces that have little patterns and aren't just pink with pink on top of pink. I definitely want her to "look" like a girl, but I don't think that requires the use of floral bows that are bigger than her poor head. Less is definitely more. I'm sure we will find things that work. So far, my favorite looks and inspirations are at GapKids, the Tea Collection website, and Hanna Anderssen. Budgeting for this little lady will be key, that's for sure!!! 

Below are the pictures of her that we got at the ultrasound where we found out. We got the results back from my second trimester blood test, and they were all perfect, and the doctor said, "Yep, that is a healthy, active little baby in there," and she said she had a "beautiful spine" which felt like quite a nice compliment, lol. The next big appointment is our 20-week appointment on November 15th where they will do the anatomy screening and check all her vital organs. In the meantime, I feel her every day now,  almost constantly, whereas at first it was just late at night right before bed. She has even given me a couple of super-kicks and pushes, though most of her moves are still light ripples and flutters. I can definitely feel that she is bigger and stronger now, which makes my heart happy. I can't believe that in two weeks I will be halfway there!!!

Her little foot pushing off of me like she is about to start a race, hehe...


Cute little fingers


The traditional "my baby looks like a skeleton" picture


The confirmation!


Her sweet profile!


I will try and stay on top of posting updates about her and my doctor's appointments as well as my monthly "belly" pictures. I decided to keep them to month-by-month so you can actually see a difference as things change. Weekly would just be too many similar pictures I think. 

Thank you for all your congratulations on Facebook about our little girl! We can't wait to show her off in March (or early April) when she gets here!!!

Love,

Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment