Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend Recap

Hi all. Another weekend, come and gone. But hallelujah, what a beautiful weekend it was!!! I am so, SO ready for Spring, I can't even stand it, even knowing that with Spring, in Texas, the evil inferno is waiting right around the corner. I will cross that sweltering bridge when I come to it, for now, give me thunderstorms and breezy days and green grass and flowers blooming! Who's with me?!

Well, I didn't end up blogging about the outtakes from our new header photo shoot like I had planned, but, basically, here's the gist: there were a LOT of outtakes. This was quite possibly the WORST photo shoot with Dresden we've ever done. He was in the most disagreeable, uncooperative mood. So how, you might ask, did we get such cute pictures for the blog header? (I'm putting words in your mouth, I realize this, but just go with it). Let me show you...


vs.


Look in the photo directly above, right by his foot, compared to the one above it. That's right folks, GARBAGE is the key! The picture on the bottom has about 200 relatives because those were the only faces he was making, until we came across a piece of trash, which he found absolutely fascinating, and was then all smiles for the rest of the shoot. Of course, the smiles were produced by me jumping up and down in the middle of Mainstreet Grapevine going "Icky! Icky!" about fifty times to keep him laughing. Anything for the craft! But seriously, it was a harrowing 20 minutes of unsuccessful toddler negotiations until the piece of garbage came and saved us. Wow.

After those pictures, and then again on Friday, I went and hung out with the one and only Sam, here from across the pond for a bit with her boyfriend James and their friend Kevin. I never have any pictures of myself on this blog for a number of reasons, but one being that I really don't get out much to do anything, except apparently take pictures of Dresden. So as proof that I do occasionally have a social life (as much for my own sanity as anything else), I felt like I had to put these pictures on here (despite the fact that I lost my eyeliner before going to visit on Friday and my eyes look tired and small). It was a lot of fun just to laugh and catch up, and translate British English into American English. There are quite a few differences, suprisingly!

Cash n' Scam, franchise est. 1995

The beautiful Patti and moi

Our little party (Kevin, Suzie, James, Dwight, Patti and me, Sam behind the camera)


On Saturday, the sun was shining and the weather was warm, so we took Dresden into Grapevine for a family breakfast (during which he punctured holes in TWO styrofoam cups, sheesh), and to scout out locations for a photoshoot of Alex's next weekend. We ended up down by the lake and Dresden had a blast just tossing rocks into the water (and at us, and up in the air). It was relaxing and fun just to watch him so focused on something, not having to chase him or tell him "no" or herd him away from anything. And Alex (and I) got some really great pictures, too.

I love the ships in the distance...


Great mid-air rock toss shots:



Thrilled with himself for making a splash


Alex thrilled with HIMself for skipping a stone
 (this is one of my new very favorite pics of all time, and I took it, yay!!!)


Father and Son (love!)


The day did not end there, either! After a catnap in the car on the way home (which meant no nap for mommy), we had visitors, a playdate for Dresden with Mr. Kace and his mom Kerrie. It was sooo cute to watch the boys together. They did really well with the toy sharing situations and everything else. By the middle of the visit, Dresden was saying "Hi Kace! Hi Kace!" over and over, and even this morning when we walked past the front door he said "Kace?" cuz he remembered them coming in from the front door I guess. I love that! Dresden is 28 days older than Kace; I would love it for them to grow into being good little friends!

Kace inspecting a toy car...Dresden inspecting Kace inspecting the toy car, lol

Cute little boys


Looking at Noah's Arc options...


Getting grabby - uh oh! 


"Okay, but you know it's MY puzzle, right?"


Puzzle compromise, successful! 
(Until Kace got jealous of Dresden sitting on his momma's lap, lol, bless his heart, it was so cute.)


After they played in the room for awhile, we walked to the park to see the ducks and swing, which of course are always great successes. We even got to share twin "I don't want to get off the swing" crying fits! It's always, ALWAYS nice to know you're not alone, that other mothers go through the same things; temper tantrums, hitting, kicking, head-butting, etc. Ha! It was a lot of fun. Thanks Kerrie and Kace for coming to see us! :-D

Dresden practically fell into bed last nigh he was so whooped. I deemed the entire day a smash hit, and was so happy that Dresden got to have so much fun. Until 1 a.m. when he woke up screaming his head off for "daddy!" Alex checked on him once, and then it was my turn. That was a mistake! When he screams for daddy, next time, it's daddy who is going to see him, because he seemed to get SO angry that it was me and not Alex, it just made him cry harder, so hard that he began to cough, and eventually made himself throw up - all over me. That just set the tone for the entire rest of the night. We let him sleep with us rather than deal with him having another crying/throwing up fit if and when we tried to get him back down in his crib, and that is ALWAYS a bad move. He spent the entire rest of the night restlessly kicking, crying, whining, and thrashing into both of us until 4 a.m. when he was ready to party and began his toddlerese orations. So not okay. Needless to say, as I am writing this post, even after a two and a half hour nap this afternoon, I am exhausted. I am just PRAYING for no more nightmares/teething pain tonight so we can all get a good night's sleep. Another thing I am praying for right now is that he will start to get his appetite back. He has been eating SO poorly lately. I am really hoping it's just because he's teething and it will start to come back as soon as these stupid bottom canines pop through. (Have I mentioned how much teething is the devil?) It's the devil. 

So that about covers it! I'm going to go fall into bed myself. Alex and I did have a great early Valentine's Day celebration at Rugerri's in Colleyville tonight. It was a nice, elegant little bistro of a place.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Love,

Cassie




1 comment:

  1. love this post and the whole weekend! minus the baby full night! that makes me so so sad for yall! i hope this passes so fast. that is so tiring! i hate that.

    ReplyDelete