Saturday, May 21, 2011

Drama, Drama, Drama!

But it's not what you think! As I mentioned, this past Wednesday, some girls and I got together for a playdate with our kiddos. Not just any girls, but CHHS Theatre Department alum-girls, Alyssa Jewell, Emily Pearson and Kristin Adams (although those aren't their last names anymore) and I. I still cannot get over the fact that we all have babies now, and that it's actually been 10+ years since we were living our glory days as marvelous actresses, lol! For example, Alyssa and I played sisters Luciana and Adriana in a Commedia del Arte version of Comedy of Errors, and Kristin and I shared a dress with Karin Mente as muses in "The Skin of Our Teeth". Yes, I said "shared a dress" because it was three dresses sewn together as one. We were, literally, inseperable. Ha!!! Even when I wasn't in plays with these girls, we were in theatre class together for a few years, and Alyssa and Emily were the cool older girls that we looked up to while we waited our turn for the bigger parts. Mrs. Ashlock was notorious for the seniority system, and so most of the time it really did feel like waiting a turn. Speaking of Mrs. Ashlock, she gave me my reputation as a prima donna, for which I will always be thankful ;-)

Anyway, enough reminiscing, back to the future...or, well, present. Sadly I did not get great pictures because my camera had a freak out on the playground and decided to stop working. Those I did get, I could barely see because of the glare on the viewfinder. Okay, I've provided sufficient excuses for these atrocities. Are y'all ready for this amazing photography?! I don't know if you can handle it...


 Okay, so you see the little red spot on the left? That's Dresden. The grey spot on the right? That's Cyrus. This just serves as photographic documentation that they were, in fact, in the same place at the same time. I am laughing hysterically at myself right now for being the master who captured this amazing photo. So I had to share it, out of sheer self-deprecation. 


Oh, wait, here they are, mere inches from each other! And the little girl swinging? Why, it's Lyla! I think it's an excellent testimony to the ages our children are right now, at how truly similar it would have been to herding cats to take a picture of all of them together. On the other hand, we are all very go-with-the-flow moms from what I can tell, and we didn't exactly attempt a herding. We really only cared that they were safe and having fun, and that we could chat and catch up and keep at least one eye on them while we did so. Mission accomplished!


And as if those pictures weren't awesome enough, be amazed at these dandies from my phone. 
I think Dresden is looking at her foot and asking "Why did you just kick me in the face?" 


Spinning Lyla on the "merry-go-round". 
On the walk home, she kept giving him dandelions. It was the cutest, sweetest thing.


So, in all, a complete photography fail. No pictures of Dresden with baby Flint, or baby Gideon, which makes me sad, but I know there will be times in the future when we can get together again and hopefully get some pictures of them together. I also know that Emily, who is an awesome photographer, took pictures, too, so maybe (please Emily, please?) I will be able to get my hands on some actual pictures of the children and their time together. Still, the most important thing was that they had fun, even if they were all running in opposite directions, whether we got it on film SD card or not. It's always important to remember to live life even if it means you'll have no pictures to remind you of the moments. I loved getting back together with these girls who were in drama with me, because drama, being a thespian, an actress, formed a huge piece of my identity, as well as some of my best memories to this day. Wednesday was another such memory, just twelve years in the future. We may never be famous actresses in Hollywood, or on Broadway, but we can relive our glory days with our kids someday, and show them video of us on stage, and if we are lucky, maybe they will one day letter in theatre (yes, I lettered in theatre and academics...wait a second while I push my glasses up on my nose), and become the lead actors/actresses of the classes of (give or take a year) 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028. Wow. Those year numbers just blew my mind a little.

Love,
Cassie



4 comments:

  1. Ha! I am about to have a very similar post! Go figure! And I got a few pics, nothing fabulous, but you're welcome to them! I'll link my photos for ya! Was great seeing you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics! So glad you girls had the chance to get together and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay you totally just blew my mind. Also you are an amazing writer! It was good to see you, we need to get together again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - I can't wait to read your post! I definitely look forward to another playdate with the kiddos, too!

    Kristin - Thank you! Sometimes I am paranoid about my writing, like, is it way too all over the place, lol! So I appreciate that. I want us all to get together again soon, too! Definitely before 2026! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete