Sunday, September 11, 2011
Where were you?
A quiet day of remembrance on the 10th Anniversary of 9/11. I still cannot believe it's been 10 years. I was in college, a sophomore, living at Smith Hall in San Marcos. I remember brushing my teeth in the community bathroom and bounding down the stairs getting ready to head to class as usual, when I paused to see the large television on in the lobby airing the first plane crashing into the tower. I thought "Wow. That is a horrific plane crash." I seriously, naively thought it was just a horrible miscalculation, an accident. And then they showed the second plane. And the world as we know it was changed, forever. I remember the candlelight vigils all over campus that night, the handmade, spray-painted banners of "We Will Not Forget" that draped over steps and pedestals. The sense of community and togetherness, yet also the sense of overwhelming sadness and disbelief, the shock of what had happened. Every time I go to the airport, I'm still angry about it, still sad about it. But more than that, I'm proud of America's resilience and bravery in the face of the tragedy that cannot even be described in words. I'm proud that while it has forever changed us, it does not define us. And most importantly that it does not define those to whom it happened directly, those who lived and live the terror of it every day. They are the true heroes, they and those who gave their lives and had their lives taken that day. We will not forget.
Love,
Cassie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment