Well, first of all, I wanted to say "Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day!" to all. We had a fairly low-key day (who knew the pub crawls ended when you have a toddler?!?), but I did get a sweet memory out of it. After Dresden's nap, I decided we should have a picnic outside, because the weather was perfect and beautiful. So I made us turkey and gouda sandwiches, (and baked Cheetos for a special post-sandwich treat), and we headed outside. Dresden was so cute. He kept getting so distracted by all the sounds and birds and bugs and the wind that he'd just sort of stare off while he chewed, but forget he was still holding his bite of sandwich. We talked about the mourning dove cooing off in the distance, about the "snow" of the Bradford Pear tree blossoms falling in the wind, about the little bugs that would land on our picnic towel, about the airplanes flying overhead. His enthusiasm for those little things I usually (okay, almost always) take for granted was contagious, and I found it easier to pause and listen and just "be" there with him. It was awesome. But that's not even the best part! We were just sitting there, eating, and he stood up and walked the two steps over to me, and just stood there, staring at me with his sea-storm eyes, and then reached up with his little hand and started to stroke my cheek so gently, and then he did the same thing to my hair. It was so surreal, like time had stopped, my little wild man being so calm and loving with me, and completely unprompted by me. It surprised and delighted and melted my heart all at once. Then, as if I had not already just died and gone to heaven from this unprovoked sweetness, he jumped into my lap and threw his arms around me, laying his head on my shoulder for a big, long hug. All I could do was squeeze him and say "Awww, I love you!", to which he replied "Wove youuu..." And then, just like that, he stood up and went back to looking around and eating his sandwich. It was truly one of those "This is why it's all worth it" moments, and one of the best moments of these past 21 and a half months. I've replayed it over and over ever since then. I wanted to blog about it here, to make sure it is a moment I never, ever forget, though I can't see how I ever could! Thank you for endulging me :-)
So, while it was low-key, of course, in true LaFasto fashion, we took some pictures of him in his St. Patrick's Day outfit after dinner...
Dresden's newest talent is jumping. It's totally a la Stuart from Mad TV. I love it!
Alex and Dresden's green shoes!
We hope y'all had great a St. Patrick's Day this week! I am so excited that tomorrow, well I guess technically today if you look at the time stamp (bad, I know), is the first day of Spring! Next up is the recap of our Saturday trip to the Dallas World Aquarium!
Love,
Cassie
No comments:
Post a Comment