Sunday, October 9, 2011

Happy Blogiversary!!! (long post!)

Exactly one year ago today, Life with Legos, Lattes and Lightsabers was born! While I haven't been the super-blogger I had hoped I would be, I am so happy for this online record of what we've been up to this past year. I hope to create a blog book out of this year's entries for a keepsake, and continue to do that for each following year. I am also going to try and post more often (how many times have I said that? Lol). But really, I often don't post out of sheer laziness, and that just means missed opportunities to record memories, so I am going to try. And now onto the meat and potatoes...

Yesterday we got a special treat - to go down to Mansfield, TX and meet up with my godson, River, his little brother Mathis, and their dad, Nick. Their mom Emily and I were in many Spanish classes together in college and we became great friends over the years. I hadn't seen River since he was 3, and Mathis was just 6 weeks old then! Dresden was just a twinkle! It was so fun to watch River and Dresden interact; River was the first little boy to steal my heart, and now I have one of my very own. I loved watching River act the "big brother" role with Dresden, helping him and leading him around places and making sure he wouldn't fall from the playground equipment. Mathis is one lucky boy to have such a great big brother. Of course, it was an absolute must to get some pictures of them playing.

River helping Dresden up the rock wall. After about 10 minutes of playing, River proclaimed "Dresden's wearing me out!" Yeah, me too, River! ;-)


Up comes Mathis


Dresden and River, instant buddies!


So sweet...


Dresden's shadow was "swinging" (he told us)


"Come on up, Mathis!"


So fun



This picture is remarkable in that Dresden was down those stairs on a different part of the playground and I was telling him it was time to go and he didn't want to listen. River went down there, bent down and said something to him, and Dresden began to walk up the stairs instantly. What?!?!
It was a miracle - thank you River!!!


It was so good to see them, though Emily was greatly missed. I can't wait for the next time we can all get together. I was surprised how quickly River and Dresden became fast friends, especially since Mathis and Dresden are closer in age, but I couldn't have been happier. 

After it was time for them to head back down to New Braunfels, since we were in Mansfield, we decided to check out a pumpkin patch/petting zoo there, Country Critters. We had sort of promised Dresden he'd get to hold a piggy (because he had SO much fun holding a little black piggy at his friend Madison's birthday party a few weeks ago ;-) ). Well, note for the future, NEVER promise your child anything you aren't 100% sure about, because it just breaks your heart when you have to let them down. There were piggies alright, but they were HUMONGOUS yucky pigs, not even robust pink pot bellied ones. They were big and black and hairy. And Dresden has pet so many goats in his lifetime that they were just nothing thrilling anymore. But, the little pumpkin patch was cool, so at least there was that. He was so excited he got to pick out his very own pumpkin.

Farmer D...


Oh look, another goat!


He was asking the goat, "Do you want to be pet? Do you? Do you?" It was so cute. 
The goat was like "Nahhhh"


He reminds me of a little shepherd in a cave here...


The LAMEST pony ride ever. 
She took him around for about 45 seconds, I almost seriously said "Are you kidding me?" 
He was still thrilled though, which I guess is all that matters.


"Go West, young man!"


Picking out his perfect little pumpkin!


Cute little pumpkins, all in a row




So many to choose from...


Happy with his choice!


Rethinking it?


Decisions, decisions...



Nope, this is the one!




Pumpkin head!


Me and my little punkin'



If this isn't the cover art for a country music album, I don't know what is!



This week, we are going to check out another pumpkin patch in Arlington, Gnismer Farms. And then, I'm on a mission to find the perfect petting zoo, so Dresden can hold a little piggy like he was promised. :-)

I love October!!! 

Love,

Cassie


No comments:

Post a Comment