My parents went ahead of us to Arkansas, and we joined them on the 23rd in Russellville. Dresden did so well on the 7-hour car ride; probably better than me in many cases (as in never complaining about how tired he was of sitting or how sore and cramped his legs were. Of course, his legs are really really short, so I can't give him too much credit, but some, I'll grant him...But I digress). After we unpacked the car and ate, we headed out to the only thing that puts Russellville on the map - the friendly neighborhood Starbucks, so I could upload the final Christmas pajama post. I live for our trips to the Russellville Starbucks. Y'all have no idea.
Christmas Eve was really cold and rainy, so we had to kind of make it an indoor day again, though we did brave the blustery, drizzly elements to capture pictures of Dresden in his cute lumberjack coat and crazy hat, those new photos you see in the re-designed blog header above. He did his best to "jump" in as many puddles as he could. I put "jump" in quotes because he knows the motion for jumping, bends his needs and attempts to lift off and everything, but his feet remain planted firmly on the ground every time, bless his heart. Actually, I do consider it quite a blessing. I'm SO not ready for a jumping toddler who is already quite the daredevil in many other ways.
My mom and I went to Mass at 5 o'clock which was really nice. It was really cute when these two angels went up before their cue while the children performed the Christmas story, and the one angel who stayed back was trying to subtly wave them back to their spots by her side. And the children's choir sang all the hymns; sweet little voices, they were cute too. After Mass we came home and served up our newest Christmas tradition of Christmas Lasagna. Christmas Lasagna originated on Christmas of 2008 when I was pregnant with Dresden and we couldn't afford to fly anywhere to be with family, so my mom came out to be with us because I was pretty sad about that. It was just the three of us, and none of us were up for the big traditional turkey and usual Christmas foods, and my mom's lasagna is my favorite, so I asked her to make that. And shazaam! the Christmas Lasagna tradition was born, and I LOVE it! After dinner, we sat as a family and watched "Miracle on 34th Street" which was really nice. Alex says he thinks that's where the movie K-Pax with Kevin Spacey got its storyline. Nanette - I would do a Siskel and Ebert review - but this post is already way too long! Forgive me? Anyway, watching the movie together as a family was perfect. I hope it will become a new tradition.
Dresden woke up about 7 o'clock on Christmas morning, none-the-wiser to Santa's visit, and his great bounty out in the living room. In fact, he was out there playing and did not even cast a second glance toward the tree until we directed him to. And then, it was ON! As much as I have always loved Christmas, I have to say, it is ten-thousand times more fun when you have a little kid to experience it with. That's just "it", you know? We all got so many great gifts, and were all busy helping each other pass them out, helping Dresden, and seeing what was still under the tree, that taking pictures really did fall by the wayside, but here are some from those we did get.
My little Linus playing the piano
Little Drummer Boy
Tearing with such precision
Surveying his treasures
After gift opening, we scrambled to get cleaned up, and then my mom, Alex, Dresden and I all drove up to the lake so we could have our second Christmas with the Worthy clan (mom's side). It was so good to see all my aunts and several of my cousins, who I feel like I never get to see often enough, and to just chat and eat sweets, and have an awesome traditional Christmas meal together. And Dresden LOVED all the attention from his "Greats" (all the aunts get to call themselves 'the Greats' now thanks to Gavin, Ezra and Dresden), and especially from his cousin Brooke who was so sweet to play with him so much. I have to admit, it was sad and strange that Grandma wasn't there. Although this is technically the second Christmas without her, I still cannot believe a whole year has passed. We know she was our Christmas angel though, and still with us in so many ways that day. On a lighter note, Dresden put the foot cover from Grandma's favorite cow recliner on as a cape and ran around. It was quite humorous.
We spent the night at the lake and then had to head home the next day as Alex was back to work on Monday, as I mentioned. It was a short but very full and fun trip. And now, it is about to be 2011. I cannot even believe it. I'm sorry this post was SOOOO long, for any of you who made it down here to the end. I keep having to remind myself, when I feel guilt for long posts, that 1) this is as much a record for posterity as it is informational to others, and 2) anyone who didn't want to would just quit reading, and that's ok, too. Phew, breathe. As I mentioned on Facebook yesterday, this is my year for letting go, and that paranoia of mine would be a good example of something I will be working to let go of, among the countless other things I worry about.
But, no worries for now, just a wish to all of you for a beautiful, fulfilling, and marvelous 2011. Happy New Year everyone!!! Be safe. Be warm. Be happy.
Love,
Cassie, Alex and Dresden










Love the new header! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Happy New Year to you, too!!!
ReplyDelete