1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I love wrapped gifts. Every year I love finding the perfect Christmas paper for that year’s gifts. And the bows. I LOVE bows and ribbon. And there’s something kind of soothing and centering about sitting and wrapping presents, don’t you think?
2. Real tree or Artificial? We have never ever had a real tree, and I have to admit, I think it’s something I want to try, the whole Griswold experience of going and cutting it down and bringing it home. (Okay, well, not exactly like the Griswold experience, but you know what I mean!) Though there is something nice about a pre-lit artificial tree that doesn’t require a lot of DIY effort, says my lazier side.
3. When do you put up the tree? I always aim for the weekend after Thanksgiving. The Christmas season goes by too fast, so I always want to enjoy the decorations for as long as possible. I’d decorate in November if I could, but Alex would murder me! I am contemplating lobbying for the triad months of October-November-December to be turned into one long season called Hallowistmas, placing greater focus on the two more important holidays, so there can be a longer celebration of them. (I realize this renders Thanksgiving the so-to-speak red-headed step-child of the bunch, but I’m okay with that, it’s never been a must-celebrate for me.)No offense to red-heads or stepchildren, or people who love Thanksgiving ;-)
4. When do you take the tree down? As soon as the energy can be mustered. Ugh, taking down Christmas decorations is the most depressing thing EVER!
5. Do you like eggnog? No. I much prefer cocoa or cider.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? My talking Cabbage Patch doll, Tara, and my Go-Go, My Walking Pup stand out in my mind.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My dad, because he BUYS HIMSELF EVERYTHING!!!
8. Easiest person to buy for? Dresden, naturally!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? I have two nativity figurines (thank you Mama!) but not a full set. I’d like to find a really interesting unique one when we eventually have a house of our own.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Regular mail. I love the tradition of addressing and getting Christmas stamps and sitting and putting the envelopes together. This year I didn’t write a letter, a lot in part owing to having this blog. I kind of thought a letter would just be redundant. What do you think? Oh, and I LOVE receiving Christmas cards and letters.
11. Best Christmas gift you received as an adult (I changed this one from ‘worst gift received’)? I told Dresden just this morning actually that the best Christmas gift I’ve ever gotten was two Christmases ago, on December 26, 2008 when we found out we were having a baby boy!!! That was such an exciting day.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Oh man, this one is really tough because I LOVE all Christmas movies (Emily, can I get an ‘amen!?’). But I love Christmas Vacation, The Holiday, Fred Claus, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, and Elf, to name my top favorites. I have never seen Miracle on 34th Street (I know, I have shamed myself), so that is a goal of mine this year, and I also want to watch the animated “A Christmas Carol” with Jim Carrey as Scrooge, because I love that story so, so much.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually December. Alex and I have a shopping day where we each get on a different level of the mall and shop for each other, and then eat lunch and switch to the opposite level. It is really fun.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? The tradition we started two years ago, mom’s Christmas Lasagna. She came to Colorado because we couldn’t afford to go home to be with family, and we also were finding out the baby’s gender, and so since it was just the three of us she asked what I wanted to eat and I said lasagna, cuz I love her lasagna. And thus, the new tradition of Christmas Lasagna was born. I LOVE it! Also, we make Dallas Meatballs, a delicious family recipe, and of course all the pies and cookies.
16. Lights on the tree (colored or clear)? I have always been a fan of white lights, but my mom’s tree with all the colors is gorgeous too. When I have my own house I would like to have more than one tree and play with lighting options then.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Ooh, this is as hard as movies. “O Holy Night”, “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”, “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”, “Angels We Have Heard On High”, and “Coventry Carol”. I can’t pick just one.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We always go to Arkansas, which is fun bc I like big family gatherings, but sometimes, ok, a lot, I’ll be honest, I wish the family gatherings could come to us. I can’t wait until we get to host Christmas at our house someday in the future.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Yes. Would it be silly to now name them? Lol.
20. Angel, star or ribbon on top of tree? I love stars, but I also love angels. Right now I have my Colorado Angel my mom gave me for my first Christmas in Colorado. Eventually, with multiple trees, I would like to have both a star and an angel, or alternate differently between years.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We get to open one gift on Christmas Eve, and the rest in the morning.
22. Favorite children's Christmas song? I like Jingle Bells, Rudolph and Up On The Housetop
23. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Grinches and Scrooges, and I have to agree with Whitney from Glam Life, people/places/ads that say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”. It is Christmas! And like Ben Stein said, he would never be offended if someone wished him Merry Christmas. Just like I wouldn’t care if someone said “Happy Hanukkah” to me.
24. Favorite ornament theme or color? I love red and green, red and gold, and green and white. The main ornaments I collect as far as themes are stars and angels
25. Turkey or ham on Christmas day? Well, recently, Christmas Lasagna, but traditionally turkey and ham.
26. What do you want for Christmas this year? I have a few things on a wish list, but mostly I’m focusing on Dresden as far as gifts go.
27. Does anyone in your family dress up as Santa? No
28. Age you discovered who Santa was? I was 8 or 9. Like I said in my last post, it didn’t phase me much, because for me the main point was the presents were there, no matter who brought them. But, if you listen to David Sedaris’ explanation of who Santa is, then my ambivalence seems more reasonable, lol!
29. Eggnog, hot chocolate, or apple cider? Hot chocolate
30. Traditional colors (red and green) or other colors? I like the idea of the more whimsical colors, like lime green and hot pink and turquoise, but I’m more of a traditionalist myself.
31. Do you have any Christmas decorations on your roof? Negative.
32. How does Santa get into your house? Chimney or magic key? We haven’t really discussed the logistics in a few years. I will say chimney until I can do more internet research on this newfangled magic key idea.
33. Do you prefer gifts or gift cards? I like either/both. Personal, thought-out gifts are amazing, but there’s something to be said about people who give gift cards and allow you to decide what you want for yourself. No less amazing!
34. Favorite children's Christmas Cartoon? A new favorite is “Shrek the Halls” - too cute, especially the Puss In Boots part. But classically, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and the 1960’s stop-motion Frosty and Rudolph and Santa Claus ones.
Okay, that was long and frivolous, and no one likely is reading this line because you stopped at like, number two, and that's okay. Again, for posterity! How would y'all's answers differ? I'd love to know!
Love,
Cassie
No comments:
Post a Comment